Basic Swimming Pool Maintenance
Patio and Pool Cover Cleaning
The firs part of your swimming pool maintenance is to remove as much debris as possible from the pool patio and pool cover before removing it. A quick sweep or hosing can remove the debris near the pool then remove floating leaves from the surface of the swimming pool using a net and telescopic pole.
Water Level Check
Check the water level and top it up if necessary to approximately halfway up the skimmer inlet, water evaporation levels change depending on air temperatures. In the summer months when air temperatures are high you can loose as much as an inch a day although this can be reduced by using a pool cover. I cover this in more depth in the pool cover section of the web site. After rain “it never rains in Lanzarote” you might need to lower the pool level. In this case, you can run the pool circulation system and turn the valves to waste.
Clean out the pool’s skimmer basket and empty the contents of the skimmer basket. Next, open the pump strainer basket and clean it and check the pressure of the filter. There is no point in checking it before cleaning out the skimmer and strainer baskets, because if they are full the filter pressure will be low. If the filter pressure is high the sand in the filter will need changing. This usually only needs doing every few years depending on how much you use your pool.
Check it for leaves or debris. Turn the heater on and off a few times to make sure it is operating properly. While the heater is running, turn the pump off. The heater should shut off by itself when the pressure from the pump drops. This is an important safety check. Now check the time clock to make sure it is working. After the equipment check, look for leaks or other early signs of equipment failure.
Clean the water level line
Apply a squirt of soap directly to the brush and start scrubbing. When cleaning, scrub below the waterline as well as above, evaporation and refilling can change the water line. Never use really abrasive brushes or scouring pads to clean as they may cause scratches. You will need to remove stubborn stains with an anti-grease product. Be aware that suntan lotions leave greasy marks around the water line, so don’t oil up before swimming or you will give yourself lots of extra work.
Brushing removes algae from the surfaces of the pool. If the pool in not very dirty, you can skip vacuuming altogether but brush the walls and bottom of the pool, starting from the shallow to the deep end. Directing the dirt toward the main drain so it is sucked into the filter.
Swimming Pool Maintenance – Vacuuming the pool
Dirt collected from the pool is sent to the filter of the circulation system
- Run the circulation system correctly so that all the suction is concentrated at the skimmer port. Use your skimmer diverter for this process if dealing with a single port skimmer. If the system includes valves for diversion of suction between the main drain and the skimmer, close the main drain valve completely and open the skimmer valve completely. If there are two skimmers in the pool close off one to increase the suction in the other one.
- Attach your vacuum head to the tele pole and attach the vacuum hose to the vacuum head. Slowly feed the hose straight down into the pool; water will fill the hose and displace the air. When you have fed all the hose into the pool there is water at the other end.
- To avoid draining the water from the hose keep it at water level, slide the hose through the skimmer opening and into the skimmer and attach the hose. The hose and vacuum head now have suction.
- To Vacuum the pool work your way around the bottom of the pool. If the swimming pool is dirty you will need to vacuum slowly to pick up all the dirt. If the suction is strong and it sucks the vacuum head to the pool surfaces, then you need to adjust the skimmer diverter or valves to reduce the flow. If the suction is weak you might want to lower the vacuum head so that it cleans closer to the pool surface.
- After removing the equipment from the swimming pool check the pump strainer basket and filter for any debris and clean them if needed.